No. 1 RIT Holds off No. 9 Union in Liberty League Title Game

ROCHESTER, NY For the third straight year the RIT (18-0) lacrosse team sits atop the Liberty League. The top-ranked Tigers defeated second-seeded Union (13-3) 13-11 in the title game Sunday afternoon at Tiger Stadium. The Tigers win their fifth straight conference title overall and third straight Liberty League title, earning the automatic berth into the NCAA Division III Tournament.

"We knew it was going to be a battle today," said RIT Head Coach Jake Coon. "They are a great team, and we knew it would come down to making some big plays, and we made them at the critical part of the game."

Junior goalie Pat Johnston was named Tournament MVP, picking up his 13th win of the season for the Tigers, making 11 saves in the title game.

Krzyston, an All-Tournament Team selection, led RIT with four points on three goals and an assist. Warren finished with four points on two goals and two assists, while Kyle Aquin scored three goals. Ryan Lee scored two goals, and Brooks-Lambert dished out a pair of assists.

Matt Hossack scored a goal, grabbed seven ground balls and caused three turnovers for the Tigers. Wilber, Krzyston and Joe Dupra combined to cause five turnovers. Brooks-Lambert won 16 of 27 face-offs and had nine ground balls.

All-Tournament team selection, Rob Santangelo led Union with four points on two goals and two assists. Nolan Stauffer and Jake Quinn each had a pair of goals, while Richard Gregory, Dan Caiola, Paul Alberti and Tom Stanton each had a goal. Stafan Basile took the loss in goal for the Dutchmen, making 13 saves.

Union took an early lead when Quinn got passed his defender and beat Johnston for his tenth goal of the season, giving the Dutchmen the early 1-0 lead.

The Tigers responded with three straight goals to close out the first quarter, taking a 3-1 lead on Matt Hossack's goal off a feed from Kyle Sterzin with one second to play in the first quarter. Aquin scored the other two Tigers' goals, the first off a feed from Braden Wallace, and the second off a feed from Jackson.

Union came right back and opened the second quarter with a pair of goals, tying the score at 3-3 on Alberti's fifth goal of the season off a feed from Santangelo. Sands opened the scoring with a blistering shot into the top corner off a fast break attempt for the Dutchmen.

RIT ended the first half with a patented run, scoring five straight to close out the half leading 8-3. Wisman scored off a nice feed from Krzyston at 8:27, and Krzyston scored off a feed from Warren at 6:47 giving RIT a 5-3 lead. Warren sandwiched a pair of goals around an Aquin goal to close out the half strong for the Tigers.

Consecutive goals from Santangelo and Stanton to open the third quarter, pulled the Dutchmen to within three goals at 8-5. Santangelo twisted and spun his way free and beat Johnston with a good hard shot cutting the RIT lead down even further at 8-4. Stanton's goal at 11:09 of the third quarter was his ninth of the season and cut the RIT lead to three goals at 8-5.

RIT broke the Union momentum with two straight goals at 10:53 and 5:36 respectively, taking a 10-5 lead on Krzyston's second goal of the game.

After a Stauffer goal cut the RIT lead to 10-6, Ryan Lee scored just six seconds later off the fast break on the ensuing face-off win from Brooks-Lambert giving RIT an 11-6 advantage.

The Dutchmen made a run in the fourth quarter, tallying the first three goals of the quarter, cutting RIT's lead to 11-9 on Santangelo's goal at 10:09. Stauffer opened the scoring with his goal at 14:08, and Quinn made it 11-8 RIT with his goal at 12:39.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website