Georgetown Stuns No. 7 Hopkins in OT in First Round Battle

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. Georgetown (11-8) managed to hold on for a big 9-8 overtime victory over the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament Friday evening at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, N.C. Georgetown advances and will face the third-seeded Tar Heels of the University of North Carolina on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.

"I'm just so happy for the seniors," said Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried. "We're one of 16 teams in the country still playing, and that's really exciting. They've worked hard this year and so has Hopkins and it's difficult in games like this that someone has to lose. I'm really excited that we were able to come out on top today."

Senior midfielder Kelyn Freedman (Newtown Square, Pa./Radnor) led the way with a hat trick including the game winner in overtime, while classmate Jody Cumberpatch (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) added a pair of goals.

On the defensive end of the field, senior defender Adrianne Devine (Loudonville, N.Y./Shaker) had five caused turnovers and freshman goalkeeper Maddy Fisher (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) managed five saves in the contest.

Georgetown outshot JHU, 27-16, and picked up 21 ground balls to the Blue Jays, 11.

The Hoyas started the scoring early as senior attacker Reilly Woodman (Alexandria, Va./St. Stephen's and St. Agnes) found the back of the cage on a pass from behind the goal from sophomore attacker Corinne Etchison (Eldersburg, Md./McDonogh School). The Blue Jays answered, but a give-and-go between Freedman and junior attacker Caroline Tarzian (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) made it 2-1 at 18:45.

Senior midfielder Courtney Caputo (Philadelphia, Pa./Springside School) easily connected on a free position goal, but a GU yellow card gave JHU a man-up opportunity and the Blue Jays took advantage. A push into the crease put Freedman on the free position at 13:57 and she found the back of the cage as the Blue & Gray took the 4-2 lead.

Hopkins quickly answered back with a pair of scores to tie it. Late in the half, Caputo passed across the crease to Cumberpatch who hit it in at 4:22. In the final minute, Tarzian shot low and connected to make it 6-4 at the break.

Ten seconds into the second half, Hopkins scored on the opening draw. Cumberpatch had her second of the game on a pass from senior midfielder Hannah Franklin (Phoenix, Md./McDonogh School), but the Blue Jays quickly cut the lead back to one.

After almost 10 scoreless minutes by both squads, Hopkins scored to tie it at seven. At 9:01, senior midfielder Meghan Farrell (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Visitation) took the flip from Cumberpatch behind the cage and curled around the left side to once again move ahead. On the ensuing draw control, Hopkins isolated an attacker who shot past Fisher in a 1v1 situation.

With the score tied at eight, JHU got the draw and stalled for the last shot. As the Blue Jay offense began to look inside, Devine intercepted the pass giving GU the ball back with 22 seconds remaining, but the Hoyas' last effort wasn't there forcing overtime with the score tied at eight.

Georgetown's Freedman got the draw and the squad held the ball the first 2:45 of overtime. With 15 seconds on the clock, Freedman powered her way toward the goal and shot high for the unassisted tally to give the Blue & Gray the 9-8 advantage. On the draw control that followed, Woodman picked it up as GU controlled possession.

The clock stopped and the teams switched sides as the third draw control of overtime was set up. Hopkins got the draw and took a good shot, but it went wide and Georgetown gained possession. With 1:13 left on the clock, the Blue & Gray held the ball as Hopkins furiously tried to force a turnover. GU calmly kept the ball and managed to hold on for the 9-8 victory.

1 2 3    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website