Ohio Grounds the Bayhawks to Snap 3-Game Losing Streak

ANNAPOLIS, MD Attackman Brendan Mundorf totaled five points on three goals and two assists, but a lengthy scoring drought proved decisive as the Chesapeake Bayhawks suffered a 15-11 loss to the Ohio Machine on Saturday night before 6,389 fans at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Attackman Drew Westervelt added four points on two goals and two assists for Chesapeake, which endured its third straight loss and fell to 1-4 on the season. Goalkeeper Kip Turner made ten saves for the Bayhawks, who dropped into a tie for last place in Major League Lacrosse with Charlotte.

"We're giving up way too many goals. We allowed 15 goals again. If we keep giving up 15, we're not going to win many games," Chesapeake head coach Dave Cottle said. "I thought we played a little better offensively, but didn't finish our shots. We turned the ball over too much and gave up some bad goals."

Attackman Marcus Holman totaled six points on four goals and an assist, while Logan Schuss added three goals and an assist for Ohio (2-3), which snapped a three-game losing streak and beat Chesapeake for the first time in five meetings.

"It's frustrating and it starts with me. We need to do a better job of getting into the hole on transition and I need to make more saves," Turner said. "It was a frustrating game for me personally. I need to bounce back."

Chesapeake came out firing as Westervelt unleashed a cannon blast of an overhand crank shot to start the scoring less than three minutes into the game. Midfielder Peet Poillon followed with a spectacular goal, driving from behind the cage then diving toward the crease and flipping the ball into the net while in midair to make it 2-0.

After Kyle Harrison scored to put Ohio on the board, midfielder Kyle Dixon answered with a 2-point goal off a power play to put the Bayhawks ahead 4-1. That lead evaporated quickly as the Machine scored four goals in the final 3:41 of the first period to move ahead 5-4.

Mundorf fed Westervelt for goal off a beautiful behind-the-back shot then scored himself on a great dodge from behind as Chesapeake reclaimed the lead at 6-5 just two minutes into the second stanza. However, the Bayhawks would go scoreless the remainder of the period and that enabled the Machine to take a 7-6 halftime lead on goals by Holman and midfielder Peter Baum.

Mundorf opened the third quarter scoring with a tremendous individual effort, back in defenseman Chad Wiedmaier then spinning away and sticking a shot into the top corner while absorbing a hard hit. Short stick defensive midfielder Matt Abbott then gave the lead back to the Bayhawks with a left-handed laser of a sidearm crank shot. Mundorf then completed a 3-0 run that put the home team ahead 9-7 with less than four minutes elapsed by taking a cross-crease feed from Westervelt and finishing a fastbreak.

Ohio reclaimed the lead at 10-9 by scoring twice in the span of 19 seconds thanks to a two-minute penalty on Chesapeake defenseman Brian Megill. Schuss scored the first power play goal on a lefty crank then the Machine won the ensuing faceoff and used the hidden ball trick to fool Turner and Holman whipped in a 2-point goal past the unsuspecting netminder.

"That was the turning point of the game," Cottle said of the three points Ohio scored during the non-releasable penalty.

Baum (three goals) then completed a 4-0 run for the visitors by beating a short stick defender and ripping a long jump shot into the net to make it 11-9 at the end of three quarters.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website