#3 Roanoke Edges #2 Gettysburg, 13-12, to Advance

GETTYSBURG, Pa. Despite being outshot by a 55-26 margin and allowing nine second-half goals, No. 3 Roanoke held on for a 13-12 victory over No. 2 Gettysburg in the NCAA quarterfinals on Wednesday afternoon at Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium. Maroons' senior goalie Matt Madalon made 19 saves, and freshman midfielder Chaz Carlson scored four goals, including the game winner with 5:52 to play.

Bullets' (17-2) junior midfielder Kevin Freehill (Baldwin, NY/Baldwin) netted his second career hat trick, while sophomore Trip Dyer (Ocean View, DE/Worcester Prep [MD]) tied a career high with a pair of markers. Senior attackman Brian Pryor (Dallas, TX/St. Mark's) and junior midfielder Jared Harriman (Yarmouth, ME/Yarmouth) each scored twice, and Harriman added a pair of assists. Junior goalie Pat Vaughan (Cockeysville, MD/Loyola Blakefield) made 10 stops on the day.

At the other end, Roanoke (15-2) got three goals apiece from sophomore attackman Zack Thomas and senior midfielder Chris Keating. Sophomore goalie Drew Bowers came off the bench while an injured Madalon was being tended to and made a huge save with the Bullets on a man-up opportunity.

Gettysburg scored first and won nearly every statistical category, but could not overcome a four-goal Roanoke run to end the first quarter. Harriman scored just 1:25 into the game, and Keating countered 1:25 after that. Over the next 10 minutes, the game settled into more of a defensive struggle, but that proved to be just the calm before the storm.

The Maroons ripped off three goals in the final three minutes of the opening frame, including a spectacular strike by Keating. With Roanoke up 2-1, Thomas passed the ball to Keating, who was streaking across the crease uncontested. In one motion, Keating caught the ball, faked a forehand shot and wrapped a backhanded shot around his head for the 3-1 advantage. Thomas then converted a wide-open backdoor pass with just three seconds remaining in the quarter.

Dyer closed the gap to 4-3 with a pair of goals in the first 2:07 of the second quarter, but a Gettysburg penalty put Roanoke into a man-up situation, which was converted by Thomas. Pryor made a nice turnaround move in front of the crease nearly three minutes later, but Madalon denied the opportunity. Thomas and senior midfielder Pat Hurley each scored before the half expired, giving the Maroons a 7-3 edge after 30 minutes.

Gettysburg went on the attack after the intermission, scoring twice in the first four minutes. The home team easily could have scored twice more in that span. Freehill started the run, and senior midfielder Chris Renzi (Fairport, NY/Fairport), who was 18-for-28 on faceoffs, won the ensuing draw, collected the ground ball and raced in on net, but his shot was wide. Just over a minute later, Madalon played a ball behind the net, but Harriman gained control and nearly beat the goalie in footrace to the net. Madalon got in front just in time to make the save.

Pryor cut the deficit to 7-5 with 11:09 to play in the third off a nice series of passes. Junior midfielder Kenny Levene (Armonk, NY/Byram Hills) passed up a decent look just outside the crease and hit Gallant behind the net. Gallant quickly fired a pass back over the net to Pryor in front for a wide-open chance that he did not miss.

Roanoke won the next faceoff and came down to score, and Keating struck again to get the two goals back. Freehill answered with a man-up goal at the 8:03 mark. The Maroons gained control off the ensuing faceoff, but junior midfielder Ted Leonard (Wallingford, PA/Strath Haven) forced a turnover. Gallant scored a goal that forced Madalon into an awkward position. After getting medical attention for several minutes on the field, he walked gingerly to the sideline, giving way to Bowers.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website