Johns Hopkins Edges Duke to Claim the Championship

BALTIMORE, Md. - Duke's run to the lacrosse national championship fell short on Monday afternoon at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore as the top-seeded and second-ranked Blue Devils fell to third-seeded and third-ranked Johns Hopkins, 12-11.

The Blue Devils conclude the season with a 17-3 overall ledger, matching the NCAA record for wins in a season set previously by the 2005 Duke, 2006 Hofstra and 2006 Virginia squads. Johns Hopkins, winning the national crown for a record-matching ninth time, finishing with a 13-4 mark. The Blue Jays also defeated Duke in the 2005 national title tilt, 9-8, in Philadelphia.

Monday's announced attendance of 48,443 establishes a record for an NCAA men's lacrosse championship game, bettering the previous high of 47,602 set in last year's Virginia-Massachusetts title game at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

The Blue Jays jumped on top 1-0 just 12 seconds into the game when Jake Byrne scored on a pass from Paul Rabil. Kevin Huntley increased the lead to two goals with a tally from Rabil at the 7:05 mark of the opening period.

Duke got on the scoreboard with 4:15 left in the quarter when Brad Ross fired home a pass from Ned Crotty. Utilizing an extra man opportunity, Crotty found the back of the net with a high shot from the right side following a feed from Zack Greer.

Stephen Peyser's unassisted goal pushed the Blue Jays back ahead with just 39 seconds left in the first quarter. On the ensuing face-off, Duke was whistled for a holding penalty and Johns Hopkins took advantage of the extra man situation when Huntley scored from the right side on a pass from Byrne. The Blue Jays won all seven face-offs in the opening period and outshot the Blue Devils, 14-6, in the quarter.

After securing the face-off to start the second period, Johns Hopkins made the score 5-2 when Peyser netted his second tally of the contest. Three minutes into the second quarter, the Blue Devils were called for a holding infraction, and Hopkins' extra man unit executed for a goal by Byrne from the top of the key at the 11:39 mark.

With 8:58 left before halftime, Peter Lamade cut the lead to 6-3 with an unassisted goal, finding the top right corner with a stop from 12 yards out. Byrne's third goal of the day, a fastbreak tally on an assist from Rabil, came at the 7:15 mark, pushing the lead back to four goals at 7-3.

The lead grew to five goals when Tom Duerr dodged from behind the goal and scored with 6:26 on the clock. Just over one minute later, Crotty's second goal of the afternoon made the score 8-4. Peyser then found Byrne for a goal at the 2:21 mark and Hopkins led by a 9-4 count. The Blue Jays' extra man unit put its third goal in the net with 1:39 prior to intermission when Rabil fed Steven Boyle on the crease for a tally.

The Blue Jays dominated the game statistically in the opening 30 minutes, winning 12-of-16 face-offs while outshooting Duke by a 27-12 margin.

Duke scored the first goal of the third quarter when Max Quinzani scooped up a loose ball in front of the cage and deposited his 23rd goal of the year at the 10:50 mark of the third quarter. Twenty-four seconds later, Crotty's shot into the top right corner pulled the Blue Devils within 10-6 with 10:26 on the clock. The goal, an extra man tally, came on a pass from Matt Danowski.

Just over six minutes into the third period, the Blue Devils capitalized on a substitution change and Ross scored a goal from Lamade. Just over one minute later at the 7:44 mark, Mike Catalino worked from behind the net and scored Duke's fourth straight goal.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website