Merchant Marine Downs Fontbonne to Even Record

Brian Flannery factored into five goals to help lead the United States Merchant Marine Academy lacrosse team to an 8-6 win over Fontbonne University at Kings Point on Monday evening. Flannery's five points on three goals and two assists matched his career high which was set back in Saturday's victory against Ohio Wesleyan. With the win, the Mariners improved to a perfect 3-0 at home.

USMMA now stands 3-3 overall after the win while Fontbonne dropped to 1-6 overall with the loss.

In addition to his career outing offensively, Flannery also scooped up a team-best six ground balls. Freshman Michael Boidock scored the final two Mariner goals, including the eventual game winner. Senior tri-captain Ryan Merritt contributed a goal and two assists for three points. In the middle of the field, freshman David Alexander won eight of his 14 face-offs. Led by the trio of senior tri-captain Michael Maginnis, junior Michael Condron and sophomore Kevin Campbell as well as goalie Robert Boyd, the Mariner defense held its opponent scoreless for an entire quarter for the fifth time in tonight's opening frame.

Fontbonne's Josh Albrecht, Brooks McGee and Patrick Zeis had two points apiece to lead the Griffins' offense. Defender Todd Hope scooped a game-high seven ground balls. Ray Medalla won eight of his 15 face-offs.

USMMA got on the board first when freshman Hunter Smith scored his first goal at Captain Tomb Field and second overall this season off a feed from classmate Zachary Gray at 10:56. The Griffins played very patient offensively , but the Mariner defense limited their opportunities to get off high percentage shots. USMMA scored one more time period before the period was over when Merritt found Flannery at 3:06 to go up 2-0.

In the second period, Fontbonne cut the Mariner lead in half when Kendall Eckles found the back of he net off a pass from Tim Ganey. USMMA answered right back when Flannery scored for the second time with 53 seconds left in the quarter. The teams went into halftime with the Mariners leading by a 3-1 score.

In the third quarter, Fontbonne scored two straight goals to tie the game up at 3-3. Albrecht scored an unassisted goal at 11:45 to cut the lead to a goal. Playing a man up, Zeis tied the game off a feed from McGee at 2:29.

USMMA however answered right back with two quick goals before the end of the period. Flannery found De Pol at 1:07 to make it 4-3. After a Gray shot hit the pipe, Flannery came right back and scored his third goal of the game to complete his second hat trick in as many games with just 34 seconds remaining. The third quarter ended with the Mariners holding onto a 5-3 lead.

Merritt factored into a pair of Mariner goals to begin the fourth quarter to give the club a more comfortable 7-3 advantage. He scored an unassisted goal at 13:49 and then set up Boidock for a score at 10:01. Boidock's goal would eventually stand as the game winner and was also the fourth unanswered goal scored by the Mariners.

Fontbonne however did not give up and cut the Mariner lead back down to two after scoring a pair of goals just seven seconds apart. Playing a man up, McGee set up Tanner Bond for a goal with 5:06 on the clock. Ray Medalla won the ensuing face-off and found Jaron Klopstein who scored at 4:59 to make it 7-5 in favor of the Mariners.

With time winding down, Flannery found Boidock for an insurance goal with 2:11 left on the clock. Fontbonne's Zeis found Albrecht for another Griffin goal with 34 seconds left, but the Mariners were able to hang on for the 8-6 victory.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website